We at Cigars & Leisure are really feeling the allure of travel right now, and springtime is a fantastic time to visit England. While most of England’s seasons aren’t necessarily apparent, spring weather causes a mini revolution during every beautiful day. Throughout the winter, the English go about their days amidst the gray gloom, but the first few sunny days elicit an almost universal response, and people walk to country pubs almost en masse. If you can’t make it over to sip a pint by a river, try mixing this gorgeous cocktail, which will at least help you believe you’re sitting amidst the rose bushes and chirping birds.
English Garden Cocktail
- 2 ounces of either a London Dry gin (try Broker’s Gin) or a botanical gin (try Hendricks, even though it’s Scottish!)
- 1/2 ounce Elderflower liqueur or cordial (try St. Germain)
- 2 ounces apple juice (the cloudy, natural stuff is best for this)
- Juice from 1/2 fresh lime
- 2 slices English cucumber
- 4 leaves of mint
- Soda water or tonic water
Add the gin, elderflower liqueur, apple juice, lime juice, three mint leaves and ice to a shaker. Shake well, then strain into a highball glass with fresh ice. Garnish with the slices of cucumber and a mint leaf.
Here’s more gin stories for you!